Tigers struggle to tame Glendale offense

0 0

By Jeff Sirko

Glendale wide receiver Brian Williams (No. 2) presses toward the Glendale end zone while RCC defensive backs Anthony Caruthers (No. 27) and Jamell Murry (No. 37) attempt to end his run. (Joshua Pedroza)

By Jeff Sirko

The Riverside City College football team failed to find a rhythm against Glendale Community College in a non-conference match-up on Sept. 20. The Tiger’s defense struggled early on to effectively control Glendale’s offense in a 20-7 loss.

Glendale came out running and continued to do so the entire game. In their first possession, the Vaqueros racked up 69 yards in 12 plays. Josh Stangby finished off the drive for Glendale when he caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Dylan Martinez.

The Tiger’s defense, which allowed just 173 yards rushing so far this season, had difficulty stopping the Glendale running game. Jorge Chaidez ran for 103 yards and one touchdown. Glendale’s Willie Youngblood also put up a big performance rushing for 104 yards.

“Our defense was taking a beating in the first half,” outside linebacker Mitchell Molina said. “They game-planned real good; they were kicking us out on our outside backers.”

Glendale kept up the assault, passing for only 51 of the total 258 offensive yards. Glendale’s Jorge Chaidez ran in a 3-yard touchdown with three minutes left in the first half, increasing their lead to 14 points.

In the second half, the Tiger’s defense was able to adjust and kept Glendale’s offense from scoring again.

The Tigers still struggled to get anything going offensively.

While running back Cedric Foster finished with 117 yards in 26 carries, the Tigers couldn’t get in the end zone.

“We had some big chances out there and we just didn’t capitalize on them,” Safety’s Coach Jason McMainis said. “I don’t think it’s anything they did against us.”

The Tigers only found success once in five trips to the red-zone. Their only touchdown came late in the game, when Tommy Curry caught a 15-yard touchdown from quarterback Coy Glass – bringing the Tigers within seven points.

With just over three minutes remaining in the game, James Calhoun returned a 64-yard punt for a touchdown, but it was called back because of an illegal block in the back. The Tiger offense took the field for what would likely be their last opportunity to tie the game.

The Tigers continued to struggle offensively. Unable to convert on third down, they were forced to punt.

Stangby returned the punt 78 yards for a touchdown, closing out the win.

“Obviously we’re not happy,” head coach Bill Brown said.

“We thought we were a better team and we didn’t play good,” Brown said.

RCC’s coaches are hopeful that the team can adjust and benefit from the loss.

“We kept fighting and battled the whole way. We didn’t quite come back, but they’re a good football team and we’ll keep working hard. We’ll be fine,” Brown said.

The Tigers hope to bounce back on the road when they face Pasadena City College on Sept. 27 for their last non-conference game of the season.

Stay informed with The Morning View.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox Sundays after each issue.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Stay informed with The Morning View.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox Sundays after each issue.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

%d bloggers like this: