JOIN THE Viewpoints STAFF!
It’s a combination hard to beat:
1) Earn three units of academic credit with Journalism 20 or Journalism 52.
2) Get desktop publishing or Internet design experience on computers with 21-inch and 27-inch monitors.
3) Build a portfolio of your work published with your byline. A portfolio of published work is essential to get a summer internship or full-time media job.
4) Get writing and editing experience covering interesting and exciting events.
5) Win awards. JACC award winners are recruited by universities.
6) Make money selling ads.
7) Learn how a newspaper works in print and online.
8) Become part of a team dedicated to public service and make a difference.
9) Have fun!
How to join:
Mandatory orientations for Viewpoints students will be held in the Assessment and Journalism Building at Riverside City College on August 28, 29, 30 and 31 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 12:30-1:30 p.m. (attend any one of these meetings).
New and returning students may attend an optional meeting Aug. 13 at 1:30 p.m. to help plan the back-to-school newspaper.
Viewpoints needs writers, editors, photographers, graphic designers, cartoonists, and combinations thereof.
Students may sign up for Journalism 20 for writing and photography and Journalism 52 for editing positions.
Editing positions are available in news, features, opinions, sports, arts and entertainment, photography, advertising design, advertising management and Internet.
Assistant editing positions are available in all sections. Viewpoints also has positions available for copy editors.
To apply for an editing position, give to both Mr. Lovelace and the Editor-in-Chief, by the deadline of Sept. 4 at 1 p.m., a signed and dated letter that identifies the editing position sought, an alternative position (optional), your experience and your goals for Viewpoints and your career.
Optional materials may include a resume, published clips or writing samples, transcripts and letters of recommendation.
Student editors must enroll in Journalism 52 by Feb. 20 at 1 p.m.
Visit the following website for more information: