It’s a combination hard to beat:
1) Earn three units of academic credit with Journalism 20 or Journalism 52.
2) Get desktop publishing or Internet design experience on computers with 21-inch monitors.
3) Build a portfolio of your work published with your byline. A portfolio of published work is essential to get a summer internship or full-time media job.
4) Get writing and editing experience covering interesting and exciting events.
5) Win awards. Viewpoints students won 20 awards from the Journalism Association of Community Colleges in the fall 2012 and spring 2013semesters. All JACC award winners are recruited by universities.
6) Make money selling ads.
7) Learn how a newspaper works in print and online.
8) Become part of a team dedicated to public service and make a difference.
9) Have fun!
How to join:
Mandatory orientations for Viewpoints students will be held in the Assessment and Journalism Building at Riverside City College on February 18, 19, 20 and 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 12:30-1:30 p.m. (attend any one of these meetings).
New and returning students may also attend an optional meeting February 3 at noon to plan Viewpoints’ back-to-school issue.
Viewpoints needs writers, editors, photographers, cartoonists, and combinations thereof. Students may sign up for Journalism 20 for writing and photography.
Editing positions are available in news, features, opinion, sports, arts and entertainment, photography, advertising design, advertising management and Internet. Assistant editing positions are available in all sections. Viewpoints also has positions available for copy editors. To apply for an editing position, give to Mr. Lovelace, by the deadline of February 25 at 1 p.m., a signed and dated letter that identifies the editing position sought, an alternative position (optional), your experience and your goals for Viewpoints and your career. Optional materials may include a resume, published clips or writing samples, transcripts and letters of recommendation. Student editors must enroll in Journalism 52 by February 25 at 1 p.m.
For more information, contact the following Viewpoints advisers:
Visit the following websites for more information: