On March 13, 1916, the Riverside Board of Education met and heard the arguments about starting a junior college. The topic was discussed at length and approved for a junior college to be open in Riverside during the month of September, according to the RCC centennial film.
RCC used 14 classrooms classes while the campus was still used originally by Riverside Polytechnic High School.
The name of Riverside Junior College was changed to Riverside College in to better represent the post-war mission of the institution on June 4, 1945.
Riverside City College’s athletic department had teams such as women’s field hockey, badminton and a rifle team.
Band director Gary Locke took over the Riverside City College Marching Band program in 1984.
Following World War II, the return of Veterans increased the college’s enrollment from 184 students in 1944 to 1,097 students in 1946.